The Carpenter's Girl

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Who Knows?

I just couldn't resist posting this - it should be interesting to see what the actual results are!
Even in Europe, people are closely following the US Presidential Race, and my students - my seven and eight year-old students - have been excited about it, and they all have opinions about who should win! (If you know my class at all, you won't be remotely surprised to hear that they have opinions!)

So, to capitalize (no pun intended!) on the fact that today is Election Day, our class had a mock election. We wanted to know who would become the President if our class could elect him. You can see the results in the picture (sorry it's not more clear!)...I was actually quite surprised at the results! Especially for liberally-minded Europe.

What I found especially intriguing about these results are how they seem to line up with the general percentages in the states....at least somewhat. Out of 16 votes, we had 6 for Obama, 9 for McCain, and 1 who chose not to vote for anyone. One of McCain's voters was a swing voter - very vocal about how great Obama is, and then at the last minute voted for McCain. It's not only adults who change their minds! :)

Now I know they're only 2nd-graders, but I was amused and intrigued by this whole process. I'll add that the 3rd grade class also held a mock election, and their results were: Obama - 4, McCain - 7.

I just have to throw this little comment in, for laughs. My swing voter, an 8-year-old Filipino boy named K.D., was talking to another teacher about the election, and here's what he said,"I know Rock Obama - he's the President!" (Not yet, says the teacher). "I know he's not yet, but he will be - he's got enough electric boats to win!" Gotta love childhood.

I guess we don't have to wait much longer to see what the actual American voters decide! Don't forget to visit the polls today! :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home